Seal of Biliteracy
GBN is proud to offer the State Seal of Biliteracy to qualifying students who demonstrate a high level of proficiency in English as well as another language.
What is the Seal of Biliteracy?
The State Seal is an award given to high school graduates that appears as a seal on their diploma and is included on the official transcript to certify that the student is biliterate in English and one or more languages. A biliterate person can read, write, speak, and understand another language in addition to English at the Intermediate High level of proficiency.
Why is the State Seal of Biliteracy valuable?
Benefits of this recognition include, but are not limited to:
- distinguishing one’s resume and college application (Article: “Learning a Foreign Language helps kids think and make money”);
- sharing one’s proficiency level for scholarship & career opportunities;
- earning college credit; Illinois law requires Illinois state universities to award credit;
- understanding one’s proficiency level in order to set advanced language goals;
- speaking more than one language improves cognitive function across the board, from planning and working memory to concentration and multitasking. (Source: New Scientist)
Which languages are approved for 2022-2023?
The languages with the option for this recognition are based on the availability of assessments currently approved by the Illinois State Board of Education: Arabic, ASL, Bulgarian, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin Chinese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Thai, and many more. A full list of approved languages can be found on ISBE's website.
How do I qualify for the State Seal?
Students who meet the following criteria will be awarded the State Seal of Biliteracy:
English Requirement–must meet at least one of the following minimums:
- ACT (21 composite or 19 language)
- SAT (480 EBRW)
- ACCESS for ELL (4.8 composite)
World Language Requirement-must attain an "Intermediate High" Rating in all four skills:
- AP Language & Culture (4 or 5)
- AAPPL (I5), ALTA (1+), STAMP (6)
- Ellinomatheia (Greek) / Bulgarian - B1
- Other ISBE approved assessment.
For information on the Ellinomatheia exam in Greek please contact Mrs. Tsatsaronis at email@example.com at the Hellenic American Academy in Deerfield.
Students should use the practice tests and review the exam topics in order to be best prepared for success on the STAMP exam.
note: you must complete reading to “unlock” writing test and you must complete listening to “unlock” speaking test
When can I take the exam?
Students who are heritage speaker of another language besides English will have the opportunity to take an exam in their language in the fall.
Students in taking a language course at GBN will have the opportunity to take the exam in their language with their level 4 class in March.
Please contact the GBN WL Department for more information.
Mr. Morrel - firstname.lastname@example.org